Friday 5 August 2016

U.S. Olympic Newcomers to Keep Your Eye On


SYDNEY MCLAUGHLIN:McLaughlin is not only a two-time Gatorade Girls Track & Field Athlete of the Year, but she has also broken a 32-year-old national prep record set by former U.S. Olympian Leslie Maxie in 1984 – oh, and did we mention she's only 16? The New Jersey native has already made history by being the youngest American athlete to compete in an Olympics since 1972.

IBITHAJ MUHAMMAD
The Olympic fencer is making history at the 2016 Olympics as the first U.S. woman to compete wearing a hijab at the summer Games. The five-time Senior World team medalist tells PEOPLE she's looking forward to competing as well as raising awareness to those tuning in. "I want people to see Muslims in a positive light. I want people to see Muslim women in a way that they're not used to seeing us," Muhammad, 30, tells PEOPLE. "If I can change the thought process of just one little girl, for me, I feel accomplished. On a larger scale if I can reach a lot of people, that's a beautiful thing."
KASSIDY COOK
After missing the opportunity to compete in the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, the 21-year-old American diver is getting a second chance to shine at this summer's Games, where she will be competing in the 3-meter springboard competition. "To come that close is way worse than missing by a bunch," Cook recalls of not placing on Team U.S.A. back in 2012. "I've got a video on my phone, this summary of the event, and I watch it as motivation on those days I don't want to practice or I'm losing sight of my goals. It's a tough process to go through, but if you use it the right way there's a chance it'll all make sense in the end."

No comments:

Featured post

Ab-Toning Moves — No Crunches Required

Let's be honest: crunches aren't the most exciting of exercises. And they're not always the most effective way to tone your a...